Discussion

Home Forums General Health & Well Being Anxiety Management

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dixya Bhatarai 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Topic
  • R. Mack
    Participant

Anxiety Management

Good day,
    I saw the graphic titled “Is anxiety getting the better of you?” and wanted to reach out in hopes of guidance towards anxiety management. With all that’s gone on around me I’ve been finding myself feeling overwhelmed or slightly paralyzed at times. In the past I’ve handled things fairly well but the past few months,dealing with illness and unemployment, seems to be taking its toll on me.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

• Replies
  • Dixya Bhatarai
    Keymaster

I am very sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time dealing with illness and unemployment, which also seems to be the root cause of your anxiety. It is really important for you to take good care of yourself because anxiety affects your mental, emotional, and physical health. I will share few strategies with you as they have been proven helpful to people with anxiety and depending upon the severity of your anxiety. If you have already tried these techniques, it might also be beneficial for you to see a therapist for further support.
    – Identify the problem – Find out what is causing your anxiety and write it down with very specific description (what, where, how, with whom, why, and what would you like to change). Come up with many solutions as possible that will help solve the problem, and develop a plan. If that plan does not work out, go to your next option to try. Writing down may not solve your problem instantly but you will have a clear plan and options right in front of you.
    – Breathing exercises – When people are anxious, they tend to breathe more rapidly, which in turn causes light headedness, confusion, and nausea. Learn a breathing technique to slow down your breathing and it can be done anywhere without anyone else noticing it.
    – Relaxation techniques – If you have a hard time relaxing, it is important for you to learn how to release muscle tension which will bring about a general feeling of calm, both physically and mentally. Find a self-taught book, goto a yoga class, or listen to relaxing music to get you started on relaxation exercise.
    – Lifestyle changes – Make small changes in your everyday routine, nothing extravagant but something that gives you enjoyment (read a book, go to a park, talk to a friend) to look forward to that will take you mind off your worries. When you are medically able, try to incorporate some physical activity if possible as it will help reduce the anxiety by providing an outlet to let off your stress. If you drink caffeine or alcohol, reduce the intake because even though they are often used to help with anxiety, stress, and depression, it leaves us more vulnerable to anxiety and caffeine produces same arousal response that is triggered when we are subjected to stress.
    – There are some herbal remedies that might help with anxiety but I would talk with your health care provider before starting anything new. Preliminary research have shown that lemon balm can reduce some symptoms of anxiety such including nervousness and excitability. There are some limited evidence showing lavender, orally as well as an an aromatherapy to reduce anxiety in some individuals. Similarly, chamomile and valerian also have shown some positive results in reducing anxiety.

You must be login in to reply to this topic.