Discussion

Home Forums General Health & Well Being How can I get rid of Kidney Stones?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dixya Bhatarai 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Topic
  • Jessica Domingue
    Participant

How can I get rid of Kidney Stones?

Suffered with kidney stones for years. I already have healthy eating habits. How do I get rid of the stones and keep them from forming?

• Replies
  • Dixya Bhatarai
    Keymaster

Kidney stones (renal lithiasis, nephrolithiasis) are small, hard mineral deposits made of minerals and acid salts inside your kidneys. There is no definite, single cause for kidney stones although several factors may increase your risk. Often, stones form when the urine becomes concentrated, allowing minerals to crystallize and stick together creating an ideal environment for kidney stones to form.

Treatment for kidney stones varies, depending on the type of stone and the cause.
    If you have small stone with minimal symptoms, it most likely won’t require invasive treatment. You may be able to pass a small stone by drinking 2-3 liters of water to help flush your urinary system. Your doctor may also recommend medications called alpha blockers to help relax the muscles of the kidneys to allow stones to be easily passed.

For larger stones, there are different treatment options depending upon your symptoms and size of the stone. A procedure called extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) is commonly recommended where wound waves are used to break up stones. A scope can also be used to remove a smaller stone in your ureter or kidney by using a thin lighted tube (ureteroscope). If a stone is very large, a doctor may surgically remove the stone using a procedure called percutaneous nephrolithotomy.

There are some studies done to show natural remedies such as lemon juice and oil combination to help remove kidney stones in rat studies. It is suggested that lemon juice breaks down the stones, while oil provides lubrication to allow the stones to pass.

Passing a kidney stone could be quite painful, so depending upon your severity and location of the stone, it is important to consult your physician to determine appropriate plan of care.

You must be login in to reply to this topic.