As the winters are approaching, it is the perfect time to relax and treat yourself with warm and scrumptious soups and broths which are packed with highly nutritious herbs and spices. As the wind is getting chilly and days are getting shorter, soup with some fish crackers for an evening snack is a perfect way to unwind after a long day at work. Serving soup and broth at a Christmas party will definitely help you earn brownie points with your guest as these are liked by people of all ages during winters and Christmas season.
Soups and broths are easy to make and very easy to digest. There is no need to follow exact recipes as one can make it the way they like, adding herbs and spices according to their likes and taste. There are different types of soups that can be made according to ones likes. Bisque is rich thick smooth soup often made with shellfish which will give your taste bud a perfect combination of herbs and meat. Stock or broth which is a strained, thin liquid made from any type of meat which works best when one in suffering from influenza.
Benefits of Soups and Broths:
Soups and broths have multiple benefits
- Bone broth is the best way to get fat soluble vitamins in your diet. A good broth will contain important amino acids which help in cell structures and detoxification. Bone broth also helps in reducing joint pain and inflammation. It also helps with bone formation and is strong weapon against osteoporosis.
- Soups and broth also help in healing the common flu in the household. They also fight against asthma, food allergies and heart diseases.
- Soups are not just a delicious winter meal but they also help in control weight and make the immune system strong. Vegetables and meat in the soup have more benefits rather than fried and baked food items.
- The warm liquid can help in controlling blood pressure. Soups can be stored in the refrigerator for a day or two which helps the spices and herbs develop the taste even more.
- Ingredients in the soup such as onions, garlic, herbs and mushrooms are very beneficial for the human body. Onions and garlic work as natural antibiotics where garlic is antifungal and prevents fungus.
- Drinking hot soup and inhaling the steam also helps in improving the respiratory system of a body.
- Soups and broths are easy on the pocket as they do not require a lot of ingredients. It serves as a scrumptious meal without putting a dent in your pocket.
Recipes of soups and broths
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup red split lentils
- 3 ½ cup vegetable stock
- 114 ounces can tomatoes
- 114 ounces can chickpeas
- 1 red chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup pepper
- Small bunch of scallion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. cream
- ½ paprika
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onions until they are soft. Add garlic and stir.
- Add the lentil and stir them. Add the stock, chickpeas, tomatoes and the red chili pepper. Cook until the lentils are soft.
- Once the lentils are cooked, use a hand beater and bring all the ingredients together. Then add the salt and pepper as per required.
- Pour the soup in the bowl, garnish with scallion, add cream and sprinkle with paprika.
- Serve hot and enjoy a delicious bowl of soup.
- 700g beef brisket
- ¼ chicken
- 1 beef bone
- 1 courgette, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 5l water, cold
- Fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Wash all the vegetables and meat thoroughly. Place all the ingredients in a large pot and pour cold water to extract the flavor.
- Place the pot on low flame and cover the lid. Cook for about 6 hours,
- When the broth is ready, pass it through a sieve and refrigerate for 5 hours after pouring it in a container.
- The broth can be stored in the fridge for 3 days and 1 month in the freezer.
Enjoy these soups and broths, and keep yourself and your family warm this winter season. Until next time, toodles.