1). Surround yourself with positive energy
Detach yourself from people who do not make you feel good about yourself or are bad influences on you. ‘Friends’ who encourage habits like smoking, overeating or drugs are not really your pals. Friendly advice: Find new ones – those who engage you into a healthier lifestyle.
2). Chase good health and not necessarily a good waist size.
The temptation of achieving the ‘ideal’ zero figure has been winning the war against healthcare, for quite some time. Be realistic – there are better ways to live our lives than to starve ourselves in order to look a certain way.
Looking at Victoria’s Secrets models is great. But trying to look like them by leading an unhealthy lifestyle – not so great. Choose realistic and positive role models, who make you feel comfortable in your own body type and encourage you to become fit, and strong.
3). Indulge in good habits
Start with small changes in your lifestyle and see how positive your life feels. Here are a few things you can do on a daily basis for this change:
- Sleep at least 8 hours every day – Sleeping adequately decreases the risk of health problems, makes memory better, maintains immune system and manages hunger levels.
- Keep yourself active – do cardio, take the stairs rather than driving, find a personal trainer or download a health app, stretch, walk or do weights. Your body will thank you.
- Eat well. To stay healthy, you have to add healthy foods to your everyday life. Add vegetables, fish, nuts, broccoli, garlic and fibre to your diet.
- Keep yourself hydrated – drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Not only will it help you stay in good shape but also decrease appetite.
- Get some sun for that extra vitamin D. It treats skin issues like acne and eczema and releases the feel-good hormones in your body. However, stay safe when you are out and about. Do not let the sun get directly in contact with your skin – apply sun screen. It keeps you safe from skin diseases like skin cancer and helps prevent discolouration and pigmentation.
- Brush your teeth regularly – this is important to prevent gum diseases and removes plaque, which is the main cause for tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Decrease your portion size – do this gradually. Again, do not starve yourself for that hourglass figure. It does not happen overnight so do it the healthy way.
- Wash your hands – This is vital for prevention from infections and bacteria. Do not forget to moisturize later. You’ve got to keep the skin looking fresh after all.
4). Make green tea your partner-in-everything
You name a health benefit and green tea comes into the picture. It is one of the healthiest beverages, which is great for your mind and your body. Its many health benefits should be credited to the amount of anti-oxidants and poly-phenols that it stores.
Green Tea helps with weight loss, regulates diabetes level, protects against heart diseases, maintains cholesterol levels, reduces risk of oesophageal cancer, regulates blood pressure, prevents tooth decay, and the best of all – it’s great for skin. This is only a win-win situation. So what are you all waiting for?
5). Eliminate these simple every day habits
- Avoid carbohydrates – like white rice and sweets. Switch to healthier alternatives like brown rice, and honey instead of sugar.
- Say no to fizzy drinks – the sugar in them damage teeth extensively, and increase the chances of weight gain, which in turn causes severe health issues like diabetes and high blood sugar levels in the future.
- Cut back on extra sugar and salt – this makes blood pressure and cholesterol levels normal and reduces the risk of a stroke
- Quit smoking – not only is this bad for health but also heavy on the pocket.
- Drink small quantities of alcohol if not leave entirely, for the sake of your wallet and your liver.
6). Stress less
Give yourself a break. It is okay to skip leg day at gym once, to have cheat days and to skip a yoga session. Forgive yourself and come back stronger.
Take some ‘you’ time. Easier said than done, but be happy. Listen to good music. Laugh. Read. Exercise. Relax. It doesn’t only lighten your mood but is also proven to be healthy. Laughing can lower stress levels and produce endorphins, which produce the feel-good hormones.
Take charge & let’s meet next time in a happier state!